8.15.2011

Top 5 Sights--Shanghai

Once I arrive in China, I'll be in Shanghai for approximately two weeks for training and orientation. I'm super excited about Shanghai because 1. It is arguably the most modern, advanced city in China (hopefully that means the culture shock will be more subtle) , 2. Ashley will be with me for exploring, 3. One of my roommates from France, Jeff, will be there teaching (and he'll know the city because he gets there August 25th!).


 As I've been reading about Shanghai, there are tons of things I want to see. Hopefully I'll have time to really explore while I'm there. Without further ado--here's my top 5:

5. Jade Buddha Temple (玉佛禅寺)--The temple was built in 1882 and gets its name from the two jade buddhas inside. It was closed from 1949-1980 (during the Cultural Revolution). It managed to survive the Revolution by pasting pictures of Mao Zedong on the wall. The Red Guards did not destroy anything that had Mao's picture on it. They were really smart to think of that!



4. Shanghai Museum (上海博物馆)--the museum has 4 floors and over 120,000 exhibits, it's the pride and joy of Shanghai. It houses some of the finest artifacts in China, namely bronzes, ancient calligraphy, ceramics, sculpture, jade, coins, and furniture.


 3. Renmin Square (人民广场)--also known as People's Square, it is located in the heart of Shanghai. It was built in 1862 and was originally a racetrack for horse races. It was the place to see and be seen. It changed hands in 1941 when the Japanese used the square to detain Allied nationals. Then, the Communists ended the racing and instead used it as a propaganda point in starting in 1949. In the 1990s, it underwent reconstruction and many government buildings were relocated to the Square. Today, it is the focal point of the city.

2. Pudong District (浦东)--this is where all the new skyscrapers are, like the Jin Mao Tower and Pearl Oriental TV Tower. The TV tower looks like a space rocket, and you can have lunch or dinner on the very top sphere for about $35 USD. The Jin Mao Tower is currently the 2nd tallest building in China (88 floors! The tallest building in China is located right next door--the Shanghai Financial Center, and the Shanghai Tower is currently under construction and will be the tallest building in the world once it opens in 2014) and one of the highest hotels in the world. For those of you familiar with Chinese culture, 88 floors is no mistake. The number eight is considered a number of wealth and prosperity. The 88th floor is home to an observation deck--sounds like you'll get a great view of the city!

1. The Bund (外滩)--possibly the best area to see! The name originates from India, meaning raised bank. I fin  Every book I've read says that pretty much all the buildings in the Bund have historical significance, but only a few are worth visiting.
  • There's a sightseeing tunnel that takes you from one end to the other--it is a glass contraption of sorts that goes through a tunnel under the river. Inside the tunnel is lit with lots of lights.
  • The Customs House is the most photographed building on the Bund because of its notable bell tower. The public is prohibited from entering the building, but as you walk past you are able to see some neat mosaics inside the entrance. During the Cultural Revolution, the building's bell (nicknamed Big Qing) was taken down and replaced by loud speakers playing the party's anthem. The bell wasn't replaced until 1986, and it has been up ever since.
  • Former Hong Kong & Shanghai Bank--this was originally built by the British and the architects were given one task: to dominate the skyline of the Bund. The building closed in 1949 and was turned into offices for the Communist Party. Most notable inside the building are the Italian mosaics depicting cities around the globe.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see all of these things! You're so proactive, with lists and helpful friends in place and such... I'm glad we'll be doing this together!

    ReplyDelete