9.05.2011

Google is My Best Friend...

One of the questions I get asked most often about moving to China is some variation of "How are you going to survive over there?" I think that really translates to the following few questions:

1. Where will you be living?
2. How will you be getting around?
3. What in the world will you eat?
4. How will you communicate?
5. What travelling do you plan to do/what do you want to see?

To be honest, I don't really know the answers to any of those questions yet. What I do know comes from searching the web, reading (mainly outdated--2 or more years!) travel books about China, and the one brief phone call I had over seven weeks ago with another employee living in Nanjing. Great information, right?

To answer some of the questions with a little more detail (and there will be way more as time progresses), here we go.

1. Where will you live?
 I'll live in an apartment. The living part is totally up to me. Disney puts me up in a hotel for up to 3 weeks in Nanjing, and get me in touch with an English-speaking realtor to help me find a place. I can live on my own, find a roommate, possibly live with a co-worker--whatever I'd like. They do give me a stipend to cover rent, and from talking to Paul (that's the Disney employee I spoke to who lives in Nanjing), all of the trainers live in the same apartment complex, and it is about a ten minute walk to work and very close to the subway station. He said he is able to afford a nice, two-bedroom apartment on the housing stipend. Apartments do come furnished, and there is an IKEA in Nanjing which makes me very happy. One thing that I'm hoping to find (and I know it's a long shot) is an apartment with an oven. Those aren't too common over there :(

2. How will you be getting around?
Walking, and lots of it. I've also considered purchasing a bike (I hear you can get a decent one under $50). Plus there's buses (which I will do my best to avoid!), taxis, subway, and trains. I definitely want to take a sleeper train at least once while I'm there. But, the majority of my transportation in the city itself will be my own two feet.

3. What in the world will you eat?
Good one. If you know me well, you'll know I love food. And you'll also know that Chinese food and I don't mix. But, that's about to change. I'm open to trying new foods, more so if I don't know what it is. There is a Wal-Mart in the city as well, and some "Western" stores. I do plan on eating more like the Chinese with lots of veggies and noodles, soups and rice. But of course I will bring a suitcase full of non-perishable food from home as well. And I plan on cooking at my place too. Plus, there's always a McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut and more in the city. I hear there are Outback Steakhouses in China as well :)

4. How will you communicate?
Kind of a two part question. When I'm in China, I'll smile and point. Often. Seriously though, I want to learn a few phrases so I can make an attempt at communicating in their language as well. I've also purchases a couple of guide books that have a nice little section at the back with useful phrases (in pinyin and character) and their English translation as well. I'll also have my e-mail, FaceBook (at times), this blog, and Skype (jessi4098). And there's always snail mail. Feel free to send me stuff. I'm sure I'll be in touch.

5. What travelling do you plan to do/what do you want to see?
My favorite question of all. To be honest, my vacation/holiday/sick time is below par with Disney. Because it is an extracurricular activity for the kids, most of the work hours will be nights and weekends, and days off are during the week (and consecutive!). That being said, I think there are lots of fun day trips from Nanjing, and tons to see in the city itself as well. I am excited that I get to spend time in Shanghai (it's an added bonus in my book!) I was originally told it was two weeks for training and orientation. Then I got another e-mail saying it could be up to two months depending on placement. So, I don't know how long I'll be there, I just know I'm going. I'd also like to spend some time in Beijing. And I want to go to the Disney parks in Hong Kong and Tokyo. Then I can say I've been to all the Disney parks in the world. I know, it's impressive :) Ashley and I have also been talking about taking a trip to Australia after the contract is up since we're already on that side of the world. I don't have any set in stone plans yet, but I do know I want to experience some of the festivals (like Dragon boat Racing and Chinese New Years). I'll just play it by ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment