1.02.2013

Tokyo: Shibuya (Harajuku) Takeshita Dori

Shibuya is one of the trendiest areas of Tokyo--and one of the busiest. I got here by metro--to the Shibuya station. This was actually the start of my little walking tour of Tokyo. I started by exiting at Hachikō. I took this exit for 2 reasons: the statue (below) and to see Shibuya crossing.
 This statue was put up after a faithful dog who'd greet his owner here daily. Once the owner passed away, the dog would still wait outside for him to come home. You can read more about the dog's story here.
 Here's Shibuya Crossing--one of the busiest intersections in the world. Every few minutes, the lights turn red in every direction, and people scramble across the street in every direction. There's even a diagonal crossing. I actually stood outside for about 5 minutes observing the chaos. Then, I jumped right in and crossed the street. It is a madhouse. Organized chaos, but crazy watching and being shuffled around amongst all those people.

After crossing the street, I visited the Disney Store, Meiji Shrine, former Olympic Stadium, Yoyogi Park, and Harajuku. You know, Harajuku girls. They dress up like dolls? I unfortunately didn't see any during my visit (it was a Saturday morning...not really a "hip" time to be out I guess) but I pulled a few pictures from the internet.


 They also had lots of costume shops like the one above. Tokyo is a very quirky place.
 One of the cool things to do in the area is eat a crepe. Seriously, every 5 feet there was a little crepe stand.


Oh, and i thought this was funny. Tamagotchi donuts--anyone else remember these? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment