11.23.2011

Breakfast Buffet

Maybe this is an odd topic to blog out, but I want to remember and share the whole experience. Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately), this includes the hotel breakfast buffet. I should add a side note here that I have only actually eaten down there once (even though it is free for me). I just can't handle all of the wonderful treasures it offers that early in the morning (let's face it--maybe I can't handle them at all).
Let's start with fancy offerings 1 & 2. Oh yes, these delicious delicacies are prepared daily. Notice I didn't use the word "fresh" in the sentence above, I'm still deciding on that part. To the left is a cabbage stew of sorts. Imagine the smell of German sour kraut and a random combination of Chinese spices--that's all included in this wonderful choice. To the right--that's scrambled (and a bit burnt) eggs with tomatoes. I thought the "brown/green" was meat (which may have been scarier), but it was really just overcooked eggs... I didn't know eggs turned that color.
This was probably my favorite part of the breakfast buffet (I just wanted to remind everyone it's still breakfast and we haven't moved on to lunch). To the left, little mini corn on the cob bites... just imagine eating that with chopsticks. Try it some day, it could be quite entertaining. To the right, fried dumplings. Usually they have pork in them, and they're pretty good, just not my choice first thing in the morning.
Mmm... tray number 3. To the right is little pieces of sausage cut up. I thought it was like kielbasa sausage, but no luck. I'm not really sure what kind of "sausage" it is, but it had a funny taste to me. Now the right... hard boiled eggs--in black tea. Apparently this is all the rage here in Shanghai, I see these babies sold at all the gas stations throughout the day, and on most street carts. I didn't actually try one because I don't really like black tea, but I hear they are "interesting".

There are a few other offerings at breakfast that I forgot to take pictures of, but just use your imagination. The restaurant serves a variety of dumplings/steamed buns. They're all filled with something different, and I'm never quite sure what will be inside. One had some eggy stuff, another had sweet red bean paste, and one didn't have anything.

Some mornings we are really lucky and they have yogurt, toast and jam. They also serve a few drinks, all warm... like orange juice. I think it is really like tang or Hi-C, but scalding hot. And of course tea. And hot water.

That's about it for breakfast time :) I hope you're hungry now!

No comments:

Post a Comment