11.12.2011

The Food

It's always interesting posting pictures because they want to go all over the place. One of the top questions I got before coming over here was "What will you eat?" I'm happy to let you all know that China has a huge selection of American chain restaurants, as well as tons cuisines from other countries. I will definitely be eating well and will be able to get my "American" fix whenever I want. Is it more expensive? Slightly, just depends on the place. Every time I walk through the metro station, I see a sign advertising a chicken sandwich meal from KFC for 15 yuan. That's roughly $2.50. My friend got footlong from Subways today for about $5. I haven't had the urge to eat at any of those places--yet :) My first night a group of us walked down the street to this little Chinese place. I got the brisket and noodles... wasn't sure what to expect, but apparently it is a soup. It was like ramen, but better. The meat was decent, but it had lots of bones in it and I don't eat meat off the bones so I had noodles and broth :)

 On Friday I had a taste of the world. For dinner Ashley and I met up with Jeff, and we had dumplings (below). Some were fried, some were steamed. Apparently 11/11 is a holiday in China--single's day. Really? It's like the anti-valentine's day, and all the sit-down restaurants were packed (go figure) so Jeff went inside the market and got lots of dumplings. The cost for 5 people (dumplings and drinks)? About $9. After the dumplings, we went to the French bakery place. We all shared a chocolate covered baguette (which was excellent), a croissant, and some sort of twisted pastry with cinnamon sugar on top.

Lunch was with the folks from Disney English. We went to a little Italian place up the street. It wasn't really little, it was the size of an Olive Garden or something comparable actually. It was nice because it had picture menus and English translations. How's that for welcoming? 
 I thought this picture was quite odd. I've heard of fruit pizza, but with cheese and tomato sauce? and kiwi? weird.
 I had the sausage and bell pepper pizza. It was about $3. I didn't pay though, uncle Walt did. Thanks Mickey!

1 comment: